Christ Church Beckenham is a vibrant Anglican church in South East London. This new role of Worship Minister and Digital Communications Lead will play a vital role in realising our vision.
We are seeking to grow – numerically, as more people become disciples of Jesus Christ; spiritually, as we deepen and strengthen our faith; and missionally, as we impact the local community and beyond through loving service. This new role of Worship Minister and Digital Communications Lead will play a vital role in realising our vision.
Job Purpose To oversee and direct the worship and creative ministries of Christ Church Beckenham, in liaison with the Senior Leadership Team.
Reports to Rev’d Rob Hinton, Vicar
Working hours The role is open to part or full-time and flexible work patterns, subject to discussion. It will include every Sunday and some evenings each week.
Salary £24,000 to £27,500 p.a. pro rata, dependent on qualifications and experience
AIMS, OBJECTIVES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Recruitment and development of teams of passionate volunteers (with a particular focus on engaging young people). This includes the production of rotas and appropriate training for teams and individuals.
• Planning and leading of musical worship in services as well as working alongside other worship leaders within the congregation to develop and encourage their leadership.
• Co-ordination of special services and events. It will be the post-holder’s responsibility to curate music (including orchestra and choir) for Christmas, Easter and at other special points in the Church calendar.
• Development of sung worship and creative expression. To provide leadership and direction as we seek to respond to God in new and deeper ways.
Digital Communications Lead
• Sustaining and expanding online content, this includes taking responsibility for the development of the live-streaming of our services for which we have a growing team.
• Management of the Christ Church Beckenham website (this is presently in need of redevelopment).
• Increasing the effective use of social media (we currently use Facebook and Instagram)
• Supporting the Ministry Team and others in using online platforms for ministry (for example Alpha Online).
• Helping with the continued implementation of ChurchSuite (our chosen church management software).
• Production of Newsletter (including digital distribution) and support with improved church-wide communication.
• Ensuring that all regulatory requirements with respect to child protection, confidentiality and health and safety are met (within the framework of the Diocese of Rochester’s Child Protection/Safeguarding policy and administrative arrangements), attending training as required.
• Working with the Christ Church Beckenham Senior Leadership Team, attend meetings as required and be actively involved in the corporate worship and life of the wider church.
Personal Qualities and Beliefs
It is essential that the person:
• has a personal faith in and living encounter with God as Father, Son and Holy Spirit;
• is in agreement with the ethos of Christ Church Beckenham;
• has a good working relationship with the Vicar, showing loyalty and co-operation, as this will be key to delivering the vision of the church;
• has a passion to reach people with the gospel and to see them grow into all that God has designed them to be in Christ;
• has the capacity to provide spiritual leadership within the worship team and to contribute to the spiritual direction of the wider church.
Personal Skills and Abilities
It is essential that the person:
• has good leadership and pastoral skills, inspiring confidence through personal vision, energy and integrity;
• is self-motivated and able to take initiative, with experience of developing and implementing a mid to long term strategy;
• is a good team-worker, with a collaborative and co-operative style and a proven ability to nurture and develop gifts in others;
• has well-developed interpersonal and communications skills and a sense of humour;
• has good time management, organisational, IT and administration skills.
Knowledge, Qualification and Experience
It is essential that the person:
• has experience of leading worship in a local church setting and a proven track-record in developing bands;
• has a gift for leading worship to draw the congregation into the presence of God;
• be musically proficient with lead instruments, including either acoustic guitar or keyboard / piano;
• be a gifted and strong vocalist;
• be well organised and plan effectively to ensure that Sunday services and major church events are appropriately resourced;
• be knowledgeable of current developments in the ministry of worship;
• have experience of working across a wide range of digital channels, including social media, video, Wordpress and website engineering, and email marketing platforms such as Mailchimp;
• can demonstrate pastoral sensitivity and confidentiality;
• be able to work on their own initiative in consultation with the Vicar;
• contributes as a team member, working closely and effectively with clergy, staff, volunteers and the PCC;
• has strong interpersonal skills, communicating well in a range of settings and be able to listen effectively to others;
• has a thorough understanding of statutory Child Protection/Safeguarding requirements;
• has experience of working effectively under pressure.
• has a strong appreciation of good design aesthetic and able to undertake administrative tasks, such as rota coordination, whilst efficiently managing a varied workload.
It is highly desirable that the person:
• holds a musical accreditation;
• has experience of orchestration and arranging in a variety of styles;
• has experience of training and mentoring others;
• has a working knowledge of Microsoft Office;
• holds a current UK driving licence;
• has a minimum of two years experience in church-based worship leadership.
The post holder will:
• actively attend and involve themselves in the life of Christ Church Beckenham;
• have a permanent contract, subject to a full DBS check and a probationary period of 6 months;
• be line-managed by the Vicar;
• work flexible hours, including evenings and weekend work (working Sundays is a non-negotiable requirement);
• have pro rata five weeks paid annual leave plus statutory bank holidays. Time off in lieu will be taken where applicable, in agreement with the line-manager;
• need to provide his/her own accommodation;
• be provided with office space on the church premises.
Genuine Occupational Requirement
Equality Act 2010 relating to Religion or Belief and Sexual Orientation
For the purpose of both of the above regulations it is considered to be a Genuine Occupational Requirement that you share and endorse the understanding that Christ Church Beckenham, as an evangelical church, has of Christian faith, conversion and commitment, sexual and moral conduct and lifestyle. If further clarity is required this can be provided on request.
If you are interested in this role, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. The recruitment process will involve you sending a recording of you singing and playing an instrument.
Deadline for applications is Monday 1st March 2021