This is an exciting opportunity for someone to live and work in a beautiful coastal area and be part of the team in a mission minded Church.
We’re really excited that you’re considering Swanage as a place to explore your ministry!
For some time at Swanage URC (SURC) we’ve been aware of a need to invest in the family within and the community beyond the church and to that end we are looking for someone to bring a creative and pioneering approach to this ministry in Swanage.
We’re looking for someone to bring leadership to this area (vision; strategy; team building and inspiration), as well as being a hands-on practitioner.
Our first priority is to encourage the good ministries we already have with the church and community, and then to develop their untapped potential.
Current and recent activities include:
● Sunday services
● Junior Church
● Parents and toddlers group
● Occasional children’s events
● Family movie evenings
● Bible study
● Home Group
● Prayer exploration
● Community cafe
● Games afternoon
● Uniformed organisations
The second priority is to create new relationships and build on existing ones within our community, which is a far more pioneering role. The area around the church has a significant community of unreached children, youth, parents, grandparents and carers, and much more can be achieved than we are now doing. The church’s heart and enthusiasm for this work is big, even though there are also large gaps and untapped potential in what we are offering.
This really is a ‘blank sheet’ and we are extremely keen that the new worker makes this role their own and has the freedom to be creative. The role encourages research of the local community and the needs our congregation are best suited to meet.
This role needs someone who is enthusiastic not only to plan, but to actively work with our core of willing volunteers and support them in their development.
As you talk and pray about this opportunity, we pray that the Holy Spirit will ignite a sense of excitement and call about this vital ministry here at Swanage URC.
Principal responsibilities and duties
To encourage and enable new and existing people within our community to encounter and respond to the love of Christ and to do this through hands-on, strategic, community engagement; working with the existing ministries of the church and pioneering new initiatives.
To join us in creating a Christian community which is attractive and fulfils our vision to know God and each other, grow to be more like Jesus and serve Him in our everyday lives.
1. Contribution to the life of the church
● Attending meetings of the Elders’ and Church meetings, and others, as required
● Contribute to and support the work of children & families ministries
● Advocate for those families, representing their needs and views to Church members
● To enable the voices of the rest of the congregation to be listened to and use them to help develop new opportunities within the church environs
● Provide regular reports on progress within the ministry
2. Community outreach
● Set out regular objectives, strategies and action plans for work with families inspiring the support and engagement of the Leadership and church Members
● Build relationships and pioneer new ministries to help families in our community encounter and respond to God’s love
● Lead groups and co-ordinate children & families work which will respond to their spiritual and social needs
● Encourage the participation of families in the life of SURC, including worship, discipleship, evangelism, care for others and social action
● Enable families and children to grow and develop so as to be integrated in the church
● Working to grow the engagement in the church and wider community with the ‘25-45’ generation
● Contribute to and maintain a close working relationship with volunteers responsible for planning and undertaking the ministry within the church
● Exercise active pastoral concern for the church and extended community and to be available to them for support and guidance
● Address current issues faced by the residents of Swanage as appropriate to the life of the church.
● Foster links with local churches, para-church organisations, local authorities and schools, relevant to the needs of families in the church and local community.
● Consider extending outreach groups to untapped areas within Swanage such as dementia friendly, artists or other creative means to serve the community.
This list is an indication of the main tasks to be performed. It is not an exhaustive list of duties, and responsibilities and may be subject to amendments to take account of changing circumstances.
As above, we encourage you to come to Swanage and speak to our people and discover how you can make a real difference.
FOR A FULL APPLICATION PACK PLEASE EMAIL: FINANCE@SWANAGE-URC.CO.UK