The Parish of Kelso was for generations centred upon Kelso Abbey, part of which was used as the Parish Church until the latter part of the eighteenth century. The first of three secessions from Parish Church occurred in 1753 and each of them resulted in the creation of a separate congregation with its own meeting place or church. Two of them subsequently merged and over a century later built Trinity Church at the foot of Bowmont Street. The other erected Edenside Church in The Horsemarket. Both Churches were part of the United Presbyterian Church.